Fishing In Oregon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fishing In Oregon

Forum for fishing for the many species of fish available in the state of Oregon. New Members Welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Big Fish Story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
krikcoin
krikcoin

Big Fish Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Fish Story   Big Fish Story Icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2008 7:13 am

Its a classic I love it .
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Admin
Osprey

Big Fish Story Empty
PostSubject: Big Fish Story   Big Fish Story Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2008 6:13 am

My wife and I went to dinner tonight and this story was on the place mat at the restraunt. It comes from a book called Tall Tales, volume 13 of Rick Steber's Tales of the Wild West series.
Rick Stebers 1997*Bonanza Publishing*Box 204*Prineville, Oregon 97754.
After reading it I felt it was just the story to put on this thread, to make us all laugh. I hope you all enjoy reading it.

"Biggest fish I ever landed was in 19 'n' 38. Remember it like it was yesterday," lied the old fisherman.
"Grasshoppers were as thick as hair on a hound dog's back, I was using a hopper for bait and to be perfectly honest I was taking a little snooze when all of a sudden my rod is nearly jerked out of my hand. I grab it, rear back and set the hook. But my line busts. I loose the fish.
"I take a spool of heavy line, string it on my reel, tie on a hook, slip a lively hopper into place and throw back out in the same spot.This time I'm not sleepy 'cause I figure I got a big fish in a hungry way.
"Sure enough, he takes the bait. But he also takes my rigging and strips off every inch of line. I vow then and there to catch that doggone monster. I run back to town, buy a hundred feet of one-inch hemp rope and have the blacksmith fashion me a hook from a double-ought horse shoe.
"When I get to my fishing hole I bait up with the biggest hopper I can find, throw in and tie off to the top of a fair-sized tree. Just before dark I catch that fish. He fights terrible hard and since there ain't nothing I can do I go home, come back the next morning and that tree is still whipping back and forth. It took two full days for that fish to finally tire. Then I hired a team of stout horses to pull it up on the bank.
"I can't rightly recite how big that fish was in yards and feet but to show you---a logging outfit ended up suing me. Thet were having a log drive at the time and when I pulled that fish out they claimed it dropped the river level so much there wasn't enough water to float there logs."

I hope you all enjoyed this story as much as I did when I first read it. I love tall tales!
Back to top Go down
https://fishinginoregon.forumotion.com

Big Fish Story
Page 1 of 1