Fishing In Oregon

Forum for fishing for the many species of fish available in the state of Oregon. New Members Welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My first Sturgeon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
krikcoin

PostSubject: Re: My first Sturgeon   Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:50 pm

Great Post
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Osprey
Admin

PostSubject: My first Sturgeon   Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:00 am

I June 0f 2007 I was invited by Dixiefisher from OFF to go sturgeon fishing. We met at the store on Sauvie Island, and proceeded to the Gilbert river boat ramp. We launched the boat and proceeded up stream to try for some Shad to start off the day. After a couple hours and several different holes without even a bite we headed down stream to go for sturgeon. We got to a hole that was about 40 ft. deep and anchored up. We baited up and cast into the deep. Almost imediately we were getting bites. There really funny fish the tip of your pole just taps. tap tap tap...as they suck on your bait. I tried constanly to set the hook but to no avail. Then after a couple more hours one just grabbed my bait and ran. I grabbed my pole and set the hook, and FISH-ON!!! It only took a few minutes and I had it to the boat. It was only a shaker about 24 inches. But it felt like a monster. I couldn't stop shaking myself for a few minutes after. Maybe that's why they call them shakers! WOW what a thrill!!! I've been hooked on sturgeon ever since. My Dad and I have went several times, but I still haven't caught a keeper. I did though have one on that was about 10 feet long. It hit like a ton of bricks and ran like a cat with it's tail on fire. I can see why they call the over sized fish peelers cause it peeled line from my pole and there was no stopping it. When it finally stopped it came out of the water like a rocket, shaking it's head and it through the hook. We've been waiting for it to warm up a bit then we're going to try it again. I can't wait. I've never been thrilled by catching any other fish like the thrill I felt while fighting a sturgeon.

Fishing isn't just a hobby...It's a lifestyle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishinginoregon.forumotion.com

My first Sturgeon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1